Thursday, January 15, 2015

Starman Japanese Laserdisc
































Greetins fellow collectors, gamer's and filmgeeks! You may already know me from my other site, robotGEEK'S Cult Cinema, where I review cult films in every genre. I've taken a break from that while I fulfill my passion of collecting. While I've always been a collector of some sort, I took a break for about a year or so while I got some things in my personal life in order.

Things are looking good again and I can now get back into doing what I love to do, which is collecting everything from original NES and SNES games, 80's toys from my childhood, Laserdiscs, VHS tapes and everything in between.

I really am a kid at heart, even though I'm technically pushing 40, and if you ever met me, I think you'd agree. I've been lucky in the fact that I have an 11 year old son, which allows me to dig into my love of comics, superheroes, retro games and my obsession with collecting.

Starting today, I'll be posting pretty regularly, sometimes more than a few times in a single day. I urge you to add me to your blog list, and to follow me. I also encourage comments. I love having conversations with fellow collectors and geeks like myself, so any comment, feedback and chit chat would be greatly appreciated.

I will still be doing reviews from time to time on my other blog, and I may throw a review on here from time to time too, but the majority of my energy and time will be spent here. I realize using Tumblr would be the ideal choice, but I'm not a fan of that layout. Anyway, hope you dig it!

Anway!! Here's a new Laserdisc I just picked up. John Carpenter's Starman on Japanese Laserdisc. I came across this by accident online and was miraculously able to talk the seller down a bit and ended up snagging this for a really good price, especially when you consider it came all the way from Japan.

I looooove this film way too much. I hadn't seen it in probably a good 20 years. When it comes to Carpenter films, I just never remembered this one as being by him. Probably just because it's so far away from what he's normally known for. One afternoon I caught this on Netflix a few months back and well, this instantly became a personal favorite film of mine. I. Loved. It. It's undoubtedly one of Carpenter's best films and strongest as a director. Each frame is so gorgeously shot, and each sequence so expertly staged that I was literally in awe every single second this was on. Add to that the films undeniable 80's charm, the amazing and impossibly catchy score and some outstanding work by Jeff Bridges, Charles Martin Smith and Karen Allen and this just screams classic. It's a beautiful film from every angle, and because of that, it's one of my top 5 Carpenter films of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment