Friday, March 6, 2015

Robocop VCR Game (1988)


































Robocop VCR Game (1988)

Back when I was 12, Robocop had just come out in theaters. The following year, this VCR Home Game hit store shelves. I don't remember if it was a hit or anything like that, but I do remember seeing this at my local Service Merchandise (remember that store?!) behind the glass and begging my parents to buy it for me. They were hesitant of course, stating that it's not really a game for kids, but of course, I wouldn't listen. It was Robocop, and I had to have it. And of course, they were right. For a 12 year old kid, this game was trying. From what I can remember, you'd play the board game, stopping at specific moments to play a minute of the VHS tape, which were scenes from the film, and then using those scenes to progress somehow in the game. I didn't have that kind of patience, so it sat on my shelf for years unplayed, before I ultimately sold it at a garage sale many years later.

I was reminded about this game recently on Instagram through a friend, and so I set upon looking for it again. I was more than shocked to discover that this game typically goes for anywhere from $50 to $100. I mean, it would have been nice to get this again just for nostalgia sake, but I didn't need it that bad, especially when you consider that it's just going to sit on my shelf. I kept my eye out though, doing random searches when I would remember, and one day I lucked out. A seller was offering it for just $10 as an auction, so I bid early. A week later, I won it and I'm one happy geek. I think what tripped people up is that when the seller listed this, the image he chose to represent the game was of the board game, and not this sweet box cover. So I'm sure a lot of people probably just passed this by without realizing it was actually the old '88 VCR game. Win for me!

4 comments:

  1. Insanely jealous. That is an awesome bit of Robocop memorabilia. What's the game like? Have you played it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played it again yet Jack! But, I'm sure I'll test it out soon with my son. LOL. I'll keep you posted! Curious myself to see if it's as dull as I remember or if it's possibly badass. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun! Always wanted to play a VCR game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool item to have, but honestly not that much fun. LOL.

      Delete