Friday, February 6, 2015

Nintendo's Cancelled Hellraiser NES Game

Apparently back in 1990 there was supposed to be a Hellraiser NES Nintendo game based off of Clive Barker's 1987 low-budget masterpiece of the same name. I had no idea this was ever even in the works! Can you imagine  how awesome that would have been? And not only that, just because it's Hellraiser, I'm sure it would have ultimately become a rare and highly sought after game indeed. The possibilities.

Recently as I was scouring Google for some old vintage ads, I happened upon this one and my jaw literally dropped to the floor. As you may know, I've begun to collect old original NES games as a hobby, and well this just got me all kinds of excited. Assuming they would have used the same poster art for the film as their box art for the game, it would have been a beautiful addition to any NES collection for sure.

Doing some digging I found a great article over at Wikia that explains in stunning detail what ultimately led to the demise of this promising game, which you can find HERE.

3 comments:

  1. Never heard about this. What an awesome "what if?" like the Aliens cartoon they nearly made in the early 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Aliens cartoon!!?? You just blew my mind! :O

      Delete
  2. Dude, type Operation: Aliens cartoon into google. They apparently made a pilot for a cartoon based on Aliens featured Ripley, Hicks, etc. It was meant to promote the Kenner toyline but someone got cold feet and canned it. There's only a handful of screen grabs out there. Hoping against hope that one day someone will leak the episode. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete