Friday, May 12, 2017

Not Dead......

You may "or may not" have noticed that I've been absent from here for a really long time. No real reason other than I tend to get obsessive with my collecting, and being as I enjoy collecting a lot of things, I go through phases. For the past year, it was VHS and sometimes I'd venture off into vintage NES, SNES and Sega games.

But recently a neighbor of my parents, who has lived in that house since the early 80's, decided to go through and sell everything, including the house, and move away. Luckily for me, this included his son's collection of vintage toys from when he was a kid. His son is my age, and so this was perfect. I went to school with him and it just so happened that we both pretty much liked the same things when it came to toys as kids. Anyway, my mom told me to stop by, that there were a bunch of toys he was throwing away and thought I might like something. I don't even want to think about what he might have already thrown away by the time my mom told him not to, but alas, I got there after work that day and nearly lost my shit.

Vintage Castle Grayskull
The first thing I noticed immediately as I walked into his garage was this original vintage Castle Grayskull. He was covered in dust, but in excellent condition. Most importantly, the hinges that lock him in place were still intact, which is an issue that seems to be common with this one. The more you open it the more wear you put to the locks and since they're plastic, they ultimately break. But it looks like this has literally been sitting in a garage or room for decades having not been played with. Score!

Unfortunately it is missing a few pieces, which won't be too hard to track down. Mainly the cannon gun that goes on the top, the ladder and the weapons. The cardboard backgrounds, elevator and a few miscellaneous pieces are still here so I'm very happy. I think a $20 investment will get me the missing pieces.

80's Vintage Toy Lot
When I saw this Grayskull, I wanted to scream for joy like a little girl, but withheld that urge and played it cool. I didn't want him to know he had something worth money. So I set it aside and continued looking. I dug through a box of random junk and this is what I pulled out that I wanted to keep for myself, all toys I actually collected as a kid myself, except for the TMNT figures and the Photon guns. I was a Lazer Tag kid.

So what you see here are random figures from M.A.S.K., The A-Team, Robo Force, Photon, GoBots, M.U.S.C.L.E., TMNT, and a cool vintage rubber Godzilla bendable figure and a robot transforming watch, the very one I actually had as a kid. Mind. Blown. Best part? I spent a whopping $40 for the lot, which also included a vintage turntable and VCR, neither of which ended up working. Wah wah wah.

Ultimately I ended up keeping a few of these, and sold the rest on eBay and to fellow collectors in a Facebook vintage toy group to help fund my new obsession, collecting vintage toys from my youth.

I've since been on a roll and I must say, it's been a ton of fun. I hope a few of you are still around because I will be posting more and more in the coming days and weeks of my newfound collection. Stay tuned....

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jason, I'm always here quieting reading your post. Good to see this blog is back up again.

    I've collecting 80/90s toys for a few years now. I'm terrible at cruising ebay for complete or near complete sets of figures. My pride and joy is a near complete set of Virus (yeah, that Jamie Lee Curtis) figures including the enormous Goliath figure (look it up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jack! Do you mean the Goliath Gargoyle's from the animated series? If so, you're not going to believe this, but I just got one of those for my wife for Mother's Day. It was her favorite show and she had been wanting one for so long. It took a looooong time of eBay searching but I finally won one at a decent price just a few weeks ago.

      Delete
    2. Whoops, I was writing in a bit of a rush. No I mean this Goliath
      http://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/v422/Artistix/VirusGoliathNadia.jpg
      From the 1998 film Virus.

      Damn I wish my wife was into toys. Would make birthdays so much easier.

      Delete