Friday, February 6, 2015

A piece of my childhood recaptured: Go-Bots "Psycho" Action Figure


Words cannot explain the excitement I got when this arrived in my PO Box. You see, while I was primarily a Transformers fan as a kid in the 80's, I also loved the Go-Bots as well. Essentially they were a cheaper version of Transformers and also their arch nemesis in the toy and cartoon market. I have to admit, I have always loved these guys just as much as I loved Transformers, which is why I collected both as a kid.

As a kid in the 80's, I had my fair share of toys, and honestly, I think we can all agree the 80's was the BEST decade for toy collecting, or just being a kid in general. M.A.S.K., Transformers, He-Man, GI Joe, Go-Bots, Thundercats....all incredible lines of toys that were made much better than anything we can get on a toy shelf these days, save for NECA I suppose. But seriously, how great was it to be a kid back then? Personally speaking.....it was amazing. I was the prime age to enjoy and immerse anything the wonderful decade of the 80's had to offer, and Go-Bots were one of them.

There were 3 or 4 Go-Bots that I distinctly remember having growing up, and this was one of them. I always thought he was the coolest looking one out of the bunch, and such a rad looking sports car. I even remember trying to duplicate this style with my Lego's, with varying degrees of success. When I decided to try and track a few of my "former" toys from my childhood down in my recent collecting resurgence, one of the first ones I went after was this particular figure. Little did I know that of all the Go-Bots figures out there, this is one of the most sought after ones. 

You can easily pick up a loose one from anywhere between $7 - $30, depending on the seller. But one in it's original box, which I don't recall them coming in a box to begin with, especially in good condition will run anywhere form $50 - $100....at least. I quickly learned vintage Go-Bot figures go for much more than I imagined. I also don't recall them being so small.

But I knew I had to have one. I kept my eye on eBay doing random searches here and there and never finding one anywhere near within my budget. Then one day a seller offered one in Near Mint Condition at a starting bid of .99. I jumped on it, and when it was all said and done, even though several others tried to outbid me in the last minute, I ultimately won out for a very reasonable price. This particular figure is now easily one of the crowning jewels of my collection and I will be on the hunt for the other few figures from this line that brings back so many fond memories of my childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment