Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hands of Steel aka Atomic Cyborg VHS Collection so far...

In order of appearance (Top left to bottom right)
UK, Dutch (Beta), German, Italian, Spanish, US and Japanese VHS.

If you were born in the 70's, then you surely remember happening upon this film in the local video store in the mid to late 80's. It's such an iconic and rad cover, how could you miss it!

In my particular case, even though I would see this tape all the time, I never actually rented it back then for some reason. Not until a few years ago when I got into VHS collecting and discovered Italian Trash Cinema, a personal favorite genre of mine. From the moment I first saw this, I was in love. This movie is the reason why I love that particular crazy ass genre and it's one of the best examples of that kind of film.

What's Italian Trash Cinema? Basically, schlock Italian filmmakers would take the big Hollywood hits of the time, mash them together, literally stealing ideas, scenes and characters out of these popular films and make their own low-budget version using an International cast. In this case, the great Sergio Martino basically mixes The Terminator and Over the Top, and sets it in a futuristic post apocalyptic world.

Daniel Greene stars, along with a slew of Italian Trash regulars. Greene, a U.S. actor who cut his teeth on the soap opera Falcon Crest in the 80's and a regular character actor on a whole bunch of television shows, is pretty badass in this. If you're like me, you'll most likely remember him as the beefcake guy that Elvira is in love with in Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. 

At this time, I'm happy to report that I have 2 new VHS tapes to add to this collection, the long sought after Turkish VHS and another US slip from Avid. So expect an updated post sometime in the near future. In the meantime, if there is a VHS version "NOT" shown here, and you're willing to part with it, please let me know! 

1 comment:

  1. HI
    NICE COLLECTION
    I HAVE AN ISRAELI RELEASE
    MY EMAIL IS : ARIAVOS78@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete