Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Hidden 2-Tape VHS Set

After going through my stacks and stacks of random stuff while moving my collection from one side of the room to the other, I came across this. Another awesome find, which like the Captain America tapes from my previous post, I completely forgot I had.

The Hidden (1987) is an insanely underrated gem. Directed by Jack Sholder, who did A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, directs this slick piece of badass cinema with a keen eye for visuals. While Sholder doesn't always knock them out of the park with such expert craftsmanship (I couldn't even finish Wishmaster 2), he shines here. It also helps that it's just screaming 80's nostalgia from beginning to end. Honestly, they just don't make movies like they used to.

Effectively mixing science fiction, horror and action, The Hidden utilizes everything we love about these genre's to maximum effect. The cast is pretty great too. Kyle Maclachlan stars as a weird FBI agent on the hunt of an alien "something" that seems to be able to transfer from body to body, making it near impossible to catch. He teams up with a local tight-wad detective set in his ways and well, the chemistry is just fantastic. What's pretty outstanding, and the norm for 80's and 90's action cinema, is that this film is peppered with a who's who of sci-fi/horror/action films. You may not know their names, but you'll certainly know their faces, including a quick 5 second cameo by Danny Trejo, in a jail cell.....of course.

I love this film, and I'm so glad I never got rid of this beautiful tape set.


No comments:

Post a Comment